The rape and subsequent death of a female student in Delhi in 2012 put the global spotlight on the problem of gender-based violence in India. Years later, the topic remains an issue in the Indian general election campaign. BBC Reality Check asks whether India has become a safer place for women. Story by Saroj Singh. Motion graphics by Jacqueline Galvin.
India election 2019: Are women any safer?
More from Breaking NewsMore posts in Breaking News »
- After Google, Amazon irks Kannadigas: Bikini with Karnataka flag draws ire
- It should’ve been a three-match showdown, India at slight disadvantage: Yuvraj Singh on WTC final
- Data recovered as ship with chemicals sinking off Sri Lanka
- Binky Felstead gives birth to baby boy with fiancé Max Darnton
- Loophole allowed 600 cruise ship workers to fly into UK without quarantining on arrival