Thousands of people still live on the Indian island of Ghoramora, which has shrunk in size to just 4.5 sq km. It’s one of scores of low-lying islands in the Sundarbans Delta that are rapidly disappearing. Scientists say global warming has caused melting snow and ice to swell the rivers, and the sea level has risen. Tens of thousands have fled Ghoramora in recent decades. Video by Devina Gupta and Pritam Roy
Sinking island in the Sundarbans Delta
More from FeaturedMore posts in Featured »
- CollegeDekho Raises $8 Million to Match Students With the Right Colleges
- Swept up in Muslim genocide crisis, Hindu Rohingyas are stuck in Bangladesh
- Who all are blackmailing the Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi?
- Study: Reducing Carbon Emissions While Improving Health Is Economically Attractive
- Ships’ Recycling Activity Slow, In a Time When it Should be Speeding Up