Thousands of people still live on the Indian island of Ghoramora, which has shrunk in size to just 4.5 sq km. It’s one of scores of low-lying islands in the Sundarbans Delta that are rapidly disappearing. Scientists say global warming has caused melting snow and ice to swell the rivers, and the sea level has risen. Tens of thousands have fled Ghoramora in recent decades.
How climate change is sinking an Indian island
More from Breaking NewsMore posts in Breaking News »
- Bihar patronage pipeline: Congress demands Deputy CM Tarkishore Prasad’s ouster
- Govt reshuffles top bureaucrats, makes 13 secretary-level appointments
- How India’s news media became an elaborate PR machine: It’s the economy, stupid
- India extradition bid dropped against West Midlands men
- UAE, India Start Talks Aimed at Doubling Trade to $100 Billion